Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

Chapter Five: A Life That Matters

Human beings need to feel they matter. This explains our desire to put a premium on titles, material wealth, and fame. This also explains our desire to be recognized and to be successful.
Amidst all these fleeting desires, however, we also need to feel we are good people. 


We need to bridge the gap between seemingly irreconcilable needs by realizing that even our smallest actions can become stepping stones toward integrity. 


Reflections

Early in life, I have always compared my achievements with others. This was crucial for someone who knew little recognition for the things he did. 


Oftentimes, my peers and other people shunned me because of my status in life. My background accords me with privilege and comfort not all people have. As a result, people would always find ways to bring me down and ensure my failure.
Consequently, more than a decade ago, I attempted to end my life.
I was in my mid-twenties and was at the peak of my professional career. I had no regard for my future and well-being. During this time, moreover, I thought I had friends who understood my immaturity. I was wrong.
This disappointment provided me the impetus to dwell on my inadequacies. I was completely delirious and did not know what I was doing. I felt neglected and inadequate because my so called friends ignored my desperate plea for help.
Death, and any attempt to achieve it, scares many people—including people you think are your friends. One could never be completely comfortable around people who are capable of draining you emotionally because they will not pity you. Instead, they will find ways to move away and accuse you for being immature and selfish. To them, you are a delinquent.
Years after the incident, I have matured. I have also learned not to completely put myself out there for people to see. 


Although I have become a little bit more straightforward, I am careful not to completely trust anyone and place my life in their hands.
On the other hand, I still have faith in our Heavenly Father. Although human interaction has failed me several times, I always look to our Father for guidance. I find solace in the fact that because He is always there, he will guide my thoughts and actions, regardless of outcome.
Finally, this resolve has put my life at ease because the confidence I put in God allows me to see the end of the tunnel very clearly.*









COMMENTS ARE WELCOME.

Reference:

Reference withheld for Intellectual Property Rights purposes.


No comments: